POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit. : Re: assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit. Server Time
26 Jun 2024 07:44:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 21 Oct 2016 09:39:24
Message: <580a1a8c$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/20/2016 12:27 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 20.10.2016 um 16:28 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> That said, I've spent a fair bit of time working through Norbert's
>> material collection - mapping them to my own ag 1.0 versions and
>> variants. I've been doing it as a way to learn from other's texturing
>> work as much as anything. In my own work, I've hit upon occasions where
>> I want a less linear and tighter blend between textures. The 2.2 space
>> offers some of this - I suspect by side effect as much as intent.
>
> Maybe we can introduce a new "blend_gamma" parameter to textures, that
> governs how the texture blends with the layer beneath it?

The idea strikes me as a good one.

Suppose the devil is in the details of implementation and actual use.
Are you thinking initially of:

effective_transmit=pow(T,new_blend_gamma_parm) for each texture with a
blend_gamma parameter?

Something this direct would address much of what I believe I'd like.

If we are going to add such a new control, perhaps the mechanism should
be set up more flexibly than a parameter to a built in function - could
be as much as complete control of the blend by function I guess.

I'm a fan of flexibility, but it's of course not free in terms of
implementation, ease of use and support.

Bill P.