POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit. : Re: assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit. Server Time
17 May 2024 19:45:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit.
From: clipka
Date: 19 Oct 2016 13:36:16
Message: <5807af10$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.10.2016 um 14:09 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>> On 18-10-2016 18:29, William F Pokorny wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> There is a base image_map texture on a plane. Over the top of that
>>> texture is another with 5 columns of 4 colors (0,0.5,1.0,2.0) where the
>>> 5 columns have transmit values of: 0,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0. One parallel light
>>> source, camera orthographic, ambient 0, diffuse 1.0.
>>>

>> Out of curiosity: what is a transmit value >1.0?
>>
> People use >1 sometimes to amplify colors or increase contrast.
>
> I think Norbert used this technique for one of his recent,
> http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/, metal monster images.
>
> It isn't the most stable technique as can be seen in the right part of
> the posted images. I'd say use values in the 0 to 1 range as a rule.
>
> Aside: I have a question rattling around in my head as to why the higher
> values tend toward black.

Because transmit not only controls the brightness of the background that
peeps through, but also of the texture itself. The higher the transmit,
the lower the percentage of the texture itself that gets mixed in -- to
the point where a /negative/ percentage is mixed in.

At the same time, more and more background is mixed in, but if it's
darker than the foreground it can't compensate the loss.