POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit. : Re: assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit. Server Time
3 May 2024 10:28:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit.
From: clipka
Date: 19 Oct 2016 13:29:36
Message: <5807ad80@news.povray.org>
Am 19.10.2016 um 12:20 schrieb William F Pokorny:

>>> Aside: I have been wondering for a while about a more probabilistic
>>> pixel based transmit mode for blending overlapping textures. Might such
>>> an approach help with the dulling/graying of overlapping partly
>>> transparent textures...
>>
>> What do you mean by "probabilistic pixel based transmit mode"?
>>
> I have in mind some sort of sampling between textures weighted by the
> transmit values involved. Suppose somewhat like the blending which
> happened in the tilt shift image I posted recently. I admit though, I'm
> thinking aloud.

You mean, something like using the "average" pseudo-pattern to textures,
but with the weight being modulated by the textures' "transmit" channel?

While that sounds interesting, a major drawback would be that the
"transmit" channel couldn't be used for its original purpose, namely
specifying transparency of the texture.