POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit. : Re: assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit. Server Time
3 May 2024 02:36:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma, overlapping textures and transmit.
From: scott
Date: 19 Oct 2016 11:15:18
Message: <58078e06$1@news.povray.org>
> With the recent discussions related to gamma handling I thought I'd post
> an image comparing how transmit behaves with respect to assumed_gamma in
> a texture overlaid upon an image base texture. The behavior of transmit
> at an assumed_gamma (ag) of 1.0 is something I like less well than its
> behavior at an ag of 2.2.

Is the problem here though is that you're trying to solve this by
tweaking gamma? Maybe it works for this issue, but it's also going to
affect all the other lighting and colours in your scene.

The better approach would be to figure out how to achieve what you want
without changing the scene-wide gamma setting. What if you adjust the
gamma of the image and the "gamma" of your rgbt values (ie don't step in
equal steps for each column)? You might have to sit down and work out
the maths to get what you want without changing assumed_gamma.