POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Survey: Gamma Handling : Survey: Gamma Handling Server Time
4 May 2024 14:00:19 EDT (-0400)
  Survey: Gamma Handling
From: clipka
Date: 16 Oct 2016 17:13:15
Message: <5803ed6b$1@news.povray.org>
*NOTE: Please also reply if you don't care!*

*NOTE: This thread is not intended for discussion!*

Since the topic of gamma handling has recently been brought to the dev
team's attention again, I'd like to get a clearer picture of how POV-Ray
users have come to feel about the issue. Even if you don't care, please
answer at least the following question:

Do you care about gamma handling?
( ) Not enough to bother answering any more of this survey.
( ) Enough to be willing to help you with this survey.

Thank you for deciding to provide some feedback on gamma; please take
the time to answer the following questions (feel free to tick more than
one box per question, and elaborate where you think it might be helpful)
-- or just ignore them and write some prose on what's really on your
mind regarding the topic.

Bystanders, please refrain from replying to people's feedback; we can
have a discussion in a separate thread.

What version of POV-Ray are you typically using?
( ) POV-Ray 3.7 (or a derivative, e.g. UberPOV, HG-Povray)
( ) POV-Ray 3.6 (or a derivative, e.g. MegaPOV, MCPov)
( ) Other: [___]

What "assumed_gamma" setting are you typically using?
( ) none
( ) 1
( ) 1.8
( ) 2.2
( ) srgb
( ) Other: [___]

Why are you using that setting?
( ) I find it easiest to work with.
( ) I think it gives the most pleasing results.
( ) I think it gives the most accurate results.
( ) I think it is the recommended setting.
( ) Other: [___]

What keyword do you typically use to specify colours?
( ) "rgb"
( ) "srgb"
( ) Other (e.g. a macro): [___]

Why are you using that keyword?
( ) I find it easiest to work with.
( ) I get colour values from elsewhere in that format.
( ) I think it is the recommended format.
( ) Other: [___]

What other gamma-related features do you know?
( ) "Display_Gamma" INI setting
( ) "File_Gamma" INI setting
( ) "Antialias_Gamma" INI setting
( ) "gamma" setting for input images
( ) "blend_gamma" setting for colour and pigment maps
( ) Other: [___]

Which of them do you make frequent use of?
( ) "Display_Gamma" INI setting
( ) "File_Gamma" INI setting
( ) "Antialias_Gamma" INI setting
( ) "gamma" setting for input images
( ) "blend_gamma" setting for colour and pigment maps
( ) Other: [___]

Why are you using those other features?
( ) I like to toy around with them.
( ) I like the flexibility they provide.
( ) I need them to handle special cases.
( ) They don't default to the settings I typically want.
( ) Other: [___]

How do you feel in general about gamma handling in POV-Ray 3.7?
( ) I really like it.
( ) I think it's mostly ok.
( ) I think it's so-so.
( ) I think it's mostly broken.
( ) I really detest it.
( ) Dunno - I'm not using POV-Ray 3.7.

How well do you get along with gamma handling in POV-Ray 3.7?
( ) It works like a charm for me.
( ) It has its quirks, but I can live with them.
( ) I'm still learning to deal with its quirks.
( ) Its quirks still keep getting in my way.
( ) It just doesn't work for me at all.
( ) Dunno - I'm not using POV-Ray 3.7.

What's your opinion on the claim that "assumed_gamma 1.0" gives more
realistic render results than other settings?
( ) Yes, "assumed_gamma 1.0" is more realistic.
( ) No, "assumed_gamma" has no effect on realism.
( ) No, "assumed_gamma 1.0" is actually less realistic.
( ) Dunno - I haven't heard that claim before.
( ) Dunno - I haven't made up my mind yet.
( ) Dunno - I don't really care.

How did you come to that opinion?
( ) People say so, and that's good enough for me.
( ) The docs imply it, and that's good enough for me.
( ) That's what sounds most plausible to me.
( ) My own research led me to that conclusion.
( ) It can be proven beyond doubt.
( ) Dunno - I don't have a clear opinion yet.

How do you feel about "assumed_gamma 1.0" in POV-Ray 3.7, compared to
the same setting 3.6?
( ) It is an overall improvement.
( ) It seems to work just the same.
( ) The following behaviour came as a negative surprise to me: [___]
( ) Dunno - I don't use it.

How do you feel about "assumed_gamma 2.2" (or any non-1.0 setting) in
POV-Ray 3.7, compared to the same setting 3.6?
( ) It is an overall improvement.
( ) It seems to work just the same.
( ) The following behaviour came as a negative surprise to me: [___]
( ) Dunno - I don't use it.

What other feedback would you like to give about the gamma handling in
POV-Ray 3.7?
[___]