POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : interlaced - which fields first? : Re: interlaced - which fields first? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:34:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: interlaced - which fields first?
From: Scott Moore
Date: 21 Nov 2002 08:02:34
Message: <57lptu0jfs0l76sqkl68jst2e9bu6bkc9s@4ax.com>
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:00:43 -0500, "Dennis Miller"
<dhm### [at] attbicom> wrote:

>Thanks Scott. The guys at Canopus (makers of Procoder) told me that even if
>I hadn't used fields in POV, that I should render my uncompressed AVI (from
>a Targa sequence) using upper if I wanted the smoothest motion on a TV.
>Of course when I send this work out, I never know what the viewer will have
>on the other end, which is yet another pain.
>But the bottom line is, if I do render with fields, will that produce even
>better TV viewing than not using fields? I can't honestly say that there is
>currently a problem (no fields in POV to no fields in Premiere to no fields
>on the DVD), but would there be a clear advantage to using fields if the
>ultimately outcome were to be a TV screen?
>thanks,
>d.

Hi Dennis,

Rendering without fields doesn't create a problem - it just means that
you're not getting the smoothest motion possible. I must admit I'm
baffled as to why Canopus say you should still render the AVI using
fields to get the smoothest motion even if you didn't use fields in
POV.

If the target device is a TV then, personally, I would use fields when
creating animations. Beware that POV will take twice as long to render
the frames because it creates two files per frame -  one for each
field. You will need to combine the two files into a single
field-rendered frame to get the desired result. (It's been on my mind
for a while to patch POV to output proper field-rendered frames ...
I'll get round to it one day 8o)

The only way for you to decide if you want to use fields in POV is to
try it and see how it looks on your TV. I think you'll be impressed
with the results.

Cheers,

Scott