POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help needed with the focal blur module : Re: Help needed with the focal blur module Server Time
2 May 2024 15:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help needed with the focal blur module
From: Alain
Date: 12 Oct 2016 15:08:39
Message: <57fe8a37$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>> For media, the minimum/maximum mechanism is ONLY for sampling method 1
>> and 2 where you have multiple intervals.
>> Now, with method 3 been the default, only the first value is ever used.
>> Any second value is silently ignored. Also, ratio, variance and
>> confidence are NOT used
>
> Ahh yes, method 3 default. I'm relearning thanks to you. I sure didn't know it
> only accepts a single sampling number, unlike the other two methods. Albeit
> optional still.
>
> Definitely know about that pesky intervals thing. Could never bring myself to
> use more than 2. Always something to slow down a newer faster computer!
>
> Thanks again, teacher Alain!

With method 1 and 2, it was often needed to use many intervals. I've
seen 50 and more in some older scenes.
If a ray where to pass through the beams of, say, 25 non-overlaping
spotlights, you need at least 50 intervals: one for each beams and
another for the space between them. This assume that the camera is
within the first beam or there is something in the last one.

Now, with method 3, you would use 100 samples and get faster and
probably beter results.