POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rotating isosurface cylinder : Re: Rotating isosurface cylinder Server Time
28 Apr 2024 10:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rotating isosurface cylinder
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 12 Oct 2016 04:03:32
Message: <57fdee54@news.povray.org>
On 10/11/2016 09:35 PM, StephenS wrote:
>> First image: my work so far on an isosurface rounded_cylinder_section.
> I will probably switch to
> f_rounded_box(x,y,z, P0, P1, P2, P3)
> from functions.inc.
> I can rotate and place this, but I would still like to know how to do it
> with a cylinder.
>
> My use of min()/max() in the isosurface causes some artifacts at close
> inspection.
>
> Comments welcome;
>
> Stephen S

With min, max I think these sorts of artifacts are always more or less
there at the threshold-seam between functions. They might or might not
be seen due AA, application or not of noise/displacement to the
component functions into max/min, ray direction, etc.

Increasing accuracy (smaller value) in your isosurface sometimes helps.

Using a blobbing function instead of - or in addition to min/max - will
fix the issue in my experience at the expense of the blobbing.

Bill P.