POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Help needed with the focal blur module : Re: Help needed with the focal blur module Server Time
2 May 2024 18:09:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help needed with the focal blur module
From: Alain
Date: 11 Oct 2016 17:03:42
Message: <57fd53ae$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>> blur_samples Minimum_Samples, Maximum_Samples
>>
>> The default minimum number of samples to use is set to 7 if you use more
>> than 7 samples, and 4 otherwise.
>
> I didn't know that. Well I knew about minimum and maximum for media, just
> obviously forgotten about for camera blur until you reminded me.
> Those are very small numbers for defaults. Trying blur_samples 3, 33 here and
> that looks good enough along with default AA (using +a command line).

For media, the minimum/maximum mechanism is ONLY for sampling method 1
and 2 where you have multiple intervals.
Now, with method 3 been the default, only the first value is ever used.
Any second value is silently ignored. Also, ratio, variance and
confidence are NOT used anymore as the are used to control how many
samples are taken in each intervals.

The sampling defaults for media are:
method 3
intervals 1 // MUST stay at that value
samples 10 // must be 3 or larger
jitter on

ratio [NOT applicable as there is ONLY a single interval]
variance [NOT applicable as there is ONLY a single interval]
confidence [NOT applicable as there is ONLY a single interval]

Increasing intervals have horrible effect on the rendering speed. I
know, I've done my testings.

Alain