POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Parsing time and animations : Re: Parsing time and animations Server Time
3 May 2024 06:33:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing time and animations
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 Oct 2016 13:08:43
Message: <57f3e21b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/10/2016 à 00:15, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> This is kind of a stupid question considering I've been using POV-Ray
> for nearly 20 years.
>
> Does the program need to parse the scene completely each frame of an
> animation? Is there any speed benefit compared to rendering each frame
> individually without POV's animation feature?
>
> I have a huge LDraw model that takes ~30 hours to parse and ~1 hour to
> render. If each frame doesn't need to the scene to be parsed completely
> I may consider making an animation. Otherwise, I won't do it.
>
> Mike

I do not know LDraw, but I hope any mesh is described as a mesh2
(parsing of mesh{} is kind of exploding parse time as number of
triangles increases (there is a search amongst previous points/vectors
for each new one... ))

There is also some patches somewhere which would cache macro in memory
instead of doing file access. If you have lot of macro in many files, it
might help.

And maybe the obvious: can you have a ramdisk for the scene to parse ?

And to end it: have you check you have not hit the swap of your system ?