POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Area light idiosyncrasies : Re: Area light idiosyncrasies Server Time
30 Apr 2024 01:36:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area light idiosyncrasies
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 2 Oct 2016 21:19:07
Message: <57f1b20b@news.povray.org>
On 10/02/2016 03:57 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> How do you evenly space points within a circle? Using a spiral? Or maybe
> a hexagonal/triangular grid? I'm not sure it's possible.

Based on my jittered circular renders, just having the points in each
ring evenly spaced would be quite sufficient.

But taking a closer look at how the points are spaced, I believe I know
how they computed those positions.  (I'd verify my guess by looking at
the code, but if I still had the mental stamina to do that, I'd be
*writing* POV-Ray.)  A wild guess at why they chose to do it that way
would be to facilitate adaptive sampling.