POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Area light idiosyncrasies : Area light idiosyncrasies Server Time
30 Apr 2024 02:50:12 EDT (-0400)
  Area light idiosyncrasies
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 1 Oct 2016 11:08:32
Message: <57efd170@news.povray.org>
The area_illumination option in POV-Ray 3.7 has given me the opportunity
to see how area_light distributes its points.  File
area_illumination.jpg shows a simple 5x5 grid, scaled to a 2x2 fill
area.  Fair enough.

But is it?

The points extend all the way to the edge of the fill area.  This has
less than ideal consequences.  File area_light_jitter1.jpg shows a
jittered 5x5 grid.  The
light extends beyond the grid area.  This is easy to correct in SDL,
however, using the formula:
    axis_length * (number_of_points - 1) / number_of_points

Less easy to work around is the circular pattern.  File
circular_light05.jpg shows the 5x5 circular pattern.  The points are not
evenly spaced.  The 17x17 pattern in circular_light17.jpg shows clearly
the uneven lighting effect, although I don't know how much visual impact
this has on a scene.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'area_illumination.jpg' (12 KB) Download 'area_light_jitter1.jpg' (43 KB) Download 'circular_light05.jpg' (12 KB) Download 'circular_light17.jpg' (16 KB)

Preview of image 'area_illumination.jpg'
area_illumination.jpg

Preview of image 'area_light_jitter1.jpg'
area_light_jitter1.jpg

Preview of image 'circular_light05.jpg'
circular_light05.jpg

Preview of image 'circular_light17.jpg'