POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Proposed informational table for tiling pattern section. : Re: Proposed informational table for tiling pattern section. Server Time
28 Apr 2024 02:39:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proposed informational table for tiling pattern section.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 26 Sep 2016 05:38:57
Message: <57e8ecb1$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/25/2016 07:45 PM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 9/25/2016 6:03 PM, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> that i'll teach me to do it from memory ... attached is corrected
>>> version .... #case (1) | #case (2) NOT #case (1|2)
>>
>> Actually it should be `#case (1) #case (2)`. Nothing in between. If
>> you use
>>
>>     #case (1)
>>       ANYTHING
>>     #case (2)
>>       WHATEVER
>>     #break
>>
>> you'll effectively get `ANYTHING WHATEVER` for a value of 1, and
>> `WHATEVER` for a value of 2.
>
> doh ... tested with 2nd case and it passed. when i changed to 1st case
> it belched on |
>
> attached is repaired version

Not opposed to adding the information in the tiling.pov example.

I am opposed to this additional line in the example:

scale TileScale

which will distort what users see when exploring the tiling patterns.

Perhaps make it a comment :

// scale TileScale   // Unit square scale for this pattern if needed.

thought I recommend deleting the line.

Folks need to know the unit tile scale if wrapping the tiles around a
cylinder or doing something like Jaime's wallpaper technique. Just
setting up the switch is enough to provide the information assuming
there is a mention in the documentation that is where the information
is.

I'm also a little unsure of the new additional scale up of <5,1,5>
you've added just below. Feels large. Does it look OK with all 27 tiling
patterns?

Aside: There will be a similar set of 3 scalings for the pavement
pattern, but I've just put in a pull request to add a pavement.pov
example - so I'll go modify that pull request now instead of proposing
wiki updates.

Will you be putting in the tiling.pov pull request yourself, or would
you like me to do it?

Bill P.