POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Wavefront OBJ import : Re: Wavefront OBJ import Server Time
29 Apr 2024 11:51:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wavefront OBJ import
From: clipka
Date: 22 Sep 2016 10:08:17
Message: <57e3e5d1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.09.2016 um 09:49 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> I am looking forward to this. One of the (future) benchmarks will
> probably be when the import of a (complex) Poser figure will become
> standard procedure :-)

Actually I'm aiming for import of DAZ figures...

... which is why JSON import is next on my list (DAZ Studio 4.x's .duf
file format is actually based on JSON), in order to provide a vector for
the import of arbitrary DAZ materials. (The .mtl files that accompany
.obj files are far too restricted to be of any practical use with DAZ
figures.) The envisioned workflow would be (1) export of materials from
DAZ as (uncompressed) material presets, (2) import into POV-Ray using an
inbuilt syntax for JSON files, (3) processing of the imported data via
SDL macros to generate a set of POV-Ray material and texture
definitions, and (4) association of those materials to the meshes.

Which in turn means I'll have to implement yet a few more SDL goodies,
most notably mixed-type arrays. Some means to iterate over the elements
of a dictionary will also be needed, and possibly also a means to
identify what type of data a given variable holds.

And of course someone will have to implement a default include file to
actually do the DAZ materials data processing.