POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Wavefront OBJ import : Re: Wavefront OBJ import Server Time
27 Apr 2024 23:53:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wavefront OBJ import
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 16 Sep 2016 09:49:12
Message: <57dbf858$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/16/2016 08:53 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 9/16/2016 4:08 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> The constraint on minimal inner_radius is really a dangerous beast:
>>

>> If base & cap radius are both 0, the inner_radius must be at least half
>> the distance between base and cap point (it would be a sphere)
>>
>> So, as stated, the doc is false.
>>

>> If base & cap radius are identical, the minimal inner_radius would be
>> sqrt( radius² + (distance/2)² ) , where distance is the length between
>> base and cap points.
>>
>> when base & cap radius are different, it become nightmare (the exact
>> equation is in the code, if you dare to want to know it).
>
> no worries /but/ i wish you'd been as verbose with your previous post
> ... however i see a bit of a conflict (perhaps i've characterized
> incorrectly) item 4 and 5 seem a bit murky or are the /both/ correct:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Lemon

I believe we need to delete the following list item (me originally
leading you wrong I think):

* generally speaking Inner_Radius must be greater than or equal to the
distance between end points

or change it to:

* generally speaking the Inner_Radius must be greater than or equal to
half the distance between end points

Bill P.