POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rounded_objects: a new feature? : Re: rounded_objects: a new feature? Server Time
3 May 2024 00:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rounded_objects: a new feature?
From: scott
Date: 16 Sep 2016 02:47:43
Message: <57db958f$1@news.povray.org>
> scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
>
>> Note that there are two distinct types of "round" being discussed, it's
>> important not to confuse them. The first is the "CAD" type of perfect
>> round that is formed by conceptually rolling a sphere (of radius equal
>> to the round you want) along the edge. The second is this type of
>> "artistic" round that smoothly blends the two shapes, but is not
>> necessarily possible to accurately specify the round radius (or it might
>> not even be constant throughout the round).
>
> My point exactly when I wrote:
>
>>> (The calculation might be faster with cubic; the corners would not be exactly
>>> circular, but would anyone notice or care?)
>
> Maybe we could go further and, with an extra optional parameter, change the
> profile of the rounding from a rounded bevel to a "V" shape?

I don't think the method you are suggesting is capable of generating
correct rounds (with constant radius curvature and tangent to both
faces) nor creating a constant "V" profile (a bevel). But willing to be
proved wrong, give it a go with some simple shapes and isosurfaces/blobs
and see what you get. If you're on to something then some working
example code will go *far* further than just a text description.