POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Parsing mesh2 data : Re: Parsing mesh2 data Server Time
26 Apr 2024 06:39:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing mesh2 data
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Sep 2016 03:46:26
Message: <57d90052$1@news.povray.org>
Le 14/09/2016 à 08:39, scott a écrit :
>> Fun fact:
>>
>> Trying to read obj files directly turns out to be only marginally faster
>> than parsing mesh2 data (about 3% as it seems).
>
> I thought obj files had an ascii and binary version, but I was wrong.
> That seems to be stl files. Maybe the binary stl format is faster to read?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)

You can give it a try in hgpovray (there is a stl_load and stl_save )

https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/wiki/Tesselation

The main issue with povray mesh import is the unique indexing of
vectors: when the data structure is not like mesh2, each new component
need to perform a search in previous values.

Even the parsing of a mesh get slowed down as the number of triangles
increased. Fast for 100, Normal when reaching 10 000, crawling after 1
000 000.

Mesh2 avoid the search because the uniqueness is done before (by the
generator of mesh2).