POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blob Potential Pattern : Re: Blob Potential Pattern Server Time
27 Apr 2024 10:39:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blob Potential Pattern
From: clipka
Date: 12 Sep 2016 10:53:13
Message: <57d6c159@news.povray.org>
Am 11.09.2016 um 20:54 schrieb clipka:
> Work in progress.

... because something I still have to figure out is what output is most
useful:

(A) the raw blob potential,
(B) the difference between blob potential and threshold,
(C) the distance to the blob surface, or
(D) yet some other metric.

(A) would have the advantage that the sum of any such patterns would
behave just like a combo of the underlying blobs.

(B) would have the advantage that the pattern would be less dependent on
the blob's specific settings, always giving a zero value at the blob's
surface.

(C) would be advantageous for obvious reasons.

(D) may provide yet unforeseen other advantages.

For isosurfaces, the decision is a bit simpler, as any metric other than
(A) or (B) would be specific to the function used, so for concistency's
sake I'm currently leaning towards one of these two.