POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fillets and rounded corners : Re: fillets and rounded corners Server Time
15 May 2024 12:47:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fillets and rounded corners
From: scott
Date: 6 Sep 2016 11:03:05
Message: <57cedaa9@news.povray.org>
>> The sphere sweep doesn't follow the intersection curve, that would give
>> you a "bead" along the edge. The sphere sweep needs to be offset a
>> variable amount to ensure that the contact between the sphere sweep and
>> both CSG surfaces is exactly tangent along the whole length. Then the
>> CSG is not trivial, you need just the bit of material between the sphere
>> sweep object and the two surfaces.
>>

> Is sphere_sweep able to follow a circle ?

Indeed, I didn't think of that limitation with sphere_sweep and
following arcs.

> The Devil's advocate sets the following situation:
> Two cylinders of identical diameter and axis in the same plane intersect
> each other with an angle of exactly 90°.
>
> The intersection curve is a sheared circle whose minor radius is the
> radius of the cylinder and major radius is sqrt(2) time the radius of
> the cylinder.

And then ... what is the mathematical definition of the surface needed
to create this simple round between these two cylinders (highlighted red
in the attachment).  And for extra marks, make it general for any
diameter, any plane, any offset (green in the attachment)... Should be
easy, right, I mean this is just two cylinders intersecting...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rounds2.png' (151 KB)

Preview of image 'rounds2.png'