POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fillets and rounded corners : Re: fillets and rounded corners Server Time
14 May 2024 20:29:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fillets and rounded corners
From: scott
Date: 6 Sep 2016 03:19:05
Message: <57ce6de9$1@news.povray.org>
> On the other hand, we may build a simple mesh M whose perimeter is the
> impact curve and this mesh would corresponding to the rounded corner. This mesh
> could be produced by averging the normal at the impact points with some filter.

You'll need much more than the "impact curve" in order to build the
mesh. You'll need to know exactly what the surface is either side of the
sharp edge, so you know where to finish the mesh. If you can imagine, a
very sharp "V" channel will need a very different mesh to a more relaxed
angle, or one with complex curved surfaces on each side.

Also what happens when the sharp edge / impact curve that is needed to
create the round is not visible in the image (because it's obscured by
another part of the shape or just pointing away from the camera)?
Attached example.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'croppercapture[4].png' (52 KB)

Preview of image 'croppercapture[4].png'
croppercapture[4].png