POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cloth backdrop : Re: Cloth backdrop Server Time
6 May 2024 07:51:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloth backdrop
From: clipka
Date: 4 Sep 2016 08:49:20
Message: <57cc1850$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.09.2016 um 09:11 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Many times in photography you see smooth backdrops behind small objects
> so you don't see a sharp crease where a floor might meet a wall. How
> would I create one of these in POV-Ray? It would need to be circular
> since I might use any camera angle.

I'd probably use a cubic spline lathe; alternatively, a f(x)=pow(x,1/n)
surface of revolution might also work.

Cylinder&Torus-based solutions are probably prone to so-called mach
banding at the transition between the shapes (the illusion of brighter
or darker bands, related to the fact that the human eye is not only
sensitive to abrupt changes in brightness, but also to abrupt changes in
the the rate of change in brightness).