POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Texture testing needed : Re: Texture testing needed Server Time
29 Apr 2024 15:49:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture testing needed
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 1 Sep 2016 12:28:19
Message: <57c85723$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/01/2016 11:52 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 01.09.2016 um 16:46 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> FYI - I was able to track the change in brilliance > 1 behavior all the
>> way back to commit :
>>
>> 54b283a - Improved finish features for more realism:
>>
>> of July 23, 2014!
>>
>> Good news is I believe refactor/texture has it right.
>
> That commit shouldn't have changed a thing for existing scenes; all the
> added features should require extra keywords to enable: Radiosity
> support for brilliance, for instance, should require `brilliance on` in
> the radiosity block.
>

> BTW, with all the updates you have sent, I notice that I'm losing track
> of which differences in output you've noticed between our "cornerstone"
> versions (official 3.7.0, feature/texture branch, and recent master
> branch), what features you have found to be involved in those
> differences, and what you have already managed to dig up about the exact
> commit that changed the behaviour. If you could give me a summary, that
> would be highly welcome.
>
> (Sorry if I'm pestering you with this; I want you to know that your
> research into this matter is very much appreciated.)

In summary:

With radiosity on, there are smallish radiosity differences between
3.7.0-stable and any 3.7.1 version on or after commit c891131. At the
moment I think these are ignorable as the cost of that fix.

With radiosity off, finish statements with brilliance>1.0 are
different/dimmer in 3.7.1 versions other than your latest
3.7.1-alpha.8738139 (refactor/texture). This change in behavior happened
with commit 54b283a as the commit prior (9b10411) matches 3.7.0-stable.
The scene file elsewhere attached to this thread can be used to
reproduce this result - though note you'll have to set the version to
3.7 as both commits came before the change to 3.7.1.

I am running on on Ubuntu 16.04.

Bill