POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Texture testing needed : Re: Texture testing needed Server Time
14 May 2024 04:41:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture testing needed
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 1 Sep 2016 08:53:51
Message: <57c824df$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/31/2016 11:03 PM, clipka wrote:

>> Sorry for my use of the word 'exactly.' Ignoring for the moment our
>> current 3.7.1 code, I believe there is a systemic difference in
>> radiosity results between 3.7.0 and the 3.7.1-re-factored texture code.
>
> I can't ignore our current 3.7.1 code in this context, because that's my
> reference for whether the refactoring broke anything. It is the nature
> of refactoring that it shouldn't change the behaviour of the program. (*)
>
> The differences I'm really interested in are:
>
> (1) Differences between the refactored code and its closest
> non-refactored sibling (**), as they would indicate that I broke
> something during refactoring; and
>
> (2) Differences between 3.7.0 and any later version of the master
> branch, as they may indicate that I broke something outside the
> refactored branch.
>
> Differences between the refactored code and 3.7.0 are of little
> importance to me, except as an indicator that there must also be
> differences in categories (1) or (2).
>
> In case of (1), I know I need to fix the refactored branch; in case of
> (2), I know I need to fix the main branch (and merge the fix into the
> refactored branch); but in case of the third kind I'm left clueless.
>

> (* I must confess though that I tend to mix in the occasional fix for
> bugs I discover during refactoring, especially if the refactoring turns
> out to be the bug's "natural enemy".)
>
> (** Ideally that would be 3.7.1-alpha.8737949 aka commit 4d52c26, dated
> 2016-08-12, but the closest tagged version, 3.7.1-alpha.8737777, should
> be good enough for any scenes that make no use of `no_image` and its
> kin; 3.7.1-alpha.8764097, the version you're using for testing, is
> actually non-ideal.)

OK. The 3.7.0 -> 3.7.1 radiosity differences - and it turns out small
shifts in shadow edges without radiosity that I didn't see until
rendering larger images - are mostly (perhaps all?) attributable to:

c891131 - Fixed two mesh camera bugs and other camera flaws.

which itself introduced an AA/shift issue until:

3c07635 - Fix GitHub issue #63.

As such I think we should just ignore related differences as we
certainly want those camera fixes.

I've moved to 3.7.1-alpha.8737949 for the 3.7.1 baseline.

Let me see if I can run down the finish difference today.

Any idea yet why we are getting the new shadow cache message in the
re-factored code and the largish differences in shadow ray counts?

I turned up other results differing quite a bit across versions, but
I'll need to re-run those I guess with the new 3.7.1 baseline for starters.

Bill P.