POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Texture testing needed : Re: Texture testing needed Server Time
14 May 2024 12:36:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture testing needed
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 31 Aug 2016 15:07:34
Message: <57c72af6$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/31/2016 01:16 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 31.08.2016 um 16:12 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> A - POV-Ray 3.7.0.unofficial
>>
>> B - POV-Ray 3.7.1-alpha.8764097.unofficial (current 3.7.1)
>>
>> C - POV-Ray 3.7.1-alpha.8738139.unofficial (refactor/texture)
>>
>> Is showing differences in all three when run with radiosity. See the
>> attached image where A, B and C shown left to right.
>>
>> If run without radiosity A & C match well, but our current 3.7.1 is
>> still different.
>>
>> If run without radiosity and finish statements A, B & C match well, so
>> something is different in finish {} with our current 3.7.1.
>>
>> Unsure what might be expected and not. Where would you like to go from
>> here?
>
> Just to make sure -- you're saying that the version to be tested (the
> refactor/texture one) matches good old 3.7.0, while the current version
> that you used as reference shows differences?

Only with radiosity off does the re-factored code match 3.7.0 -
otherwise none of the three match exactly.

> My first instinct would be "duh! accidently fixed something along the
> way!" But that might be misleading, as I might have instead accidently
> removed a fix for something that was broken in 3.7.0.
>
> The first thing I would like you to do is let me know the details of the
> finish you were using. I presume this is not just an empty `finish{}`
> block, right?

No it is not empty. I'll dig more to try and figure out which finish
statement(s) cause the difference & report back.

For the moment I am still working through the collection of materials I
have just see if they all work & what the differences are. Still the
case I've hit nothing that dies outright.

I'm also not sure if the aim is to always exactly match 3.7.0? In the
case of media for example, we know we don't match 3.7.0 to 3.7.1, but we
are happier with the 3.7.1 result.

Bill P.