POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Texture testing needed : Re: Texture testing needed Server Time
14 May 2024 08:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture testing needed
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 31 Aug 2016 14:56:13
Message: <57c7284d$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/31/2016 01:03 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 31.08.2016 um 17:52 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>> On 08/31/2016 10:12 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
>>> On 08/09/2016 07:55 PM, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> Bill P.
>>
>> Having looked at more results I have seen nothing which dies outright as
>> yet. About a third run so far have little change across the three
>> versions. The rest do and I'd say mostly in the shadows. There is I see
>> a new shadow cache message out of the refactored code.
>
> What do you mean by that last sentence? Do you mean there's a new
> warning during compilation or some such?
>
> Since shadow cache handling happens in `source/core/render/trace.cpp`,
> I've had a cursory glance over the differences between the two branches,
> but didn't notice anything obvious related to the shadow cache.
>
> Can you name the exact location where you "see a new shadow cache
> message", and what that message actually is?

In the re-factored code I see the new message just below the usual
shadow ray test message as in:

Shadow Ray Tests:            345087   Succeeded:                 33718
Shadow Cache Hits:            31372

The 3.7.0 and current 3.7.1 has just:

Shadow Ray Tests:            422995   Succeeded:                 66614

and

Shadow Ray Tests:            410766   Succeeded:                 66001

respectively.

I've run a good bit more and I now wondering if some of the differences
in shadows are not tangled in the normal handling. Really smooth
results, as for example with Jaime's car paint materials, show no
differences.

Bill P.