POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Stochastics expertise needed : Re: Stochastics expertise needed Server Time
16 May 2024 23:07:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stochastics expertise needed
From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2016 08:41:49
Message: <57c18a8d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.08.2016 um 13:35 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> I have to be out for most of the day today, but I figured if we were searching
> for a "bicycle" that already exists, then a search ought to pick up a nice
> parametrizable equation.
>
> I started off with blackbody and Maxwell-Boltzmann distributions, but then
> enough coffee kicked in...   ;)
>
> https://www.google.com/#q=brdf+code
>
> http://graphicrants.blogspot.com/2013/08/specular-brdf-reference.html
> https://support.solidangle.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=5800819
>
> https://www.google.com/#q=highlight+reflection+distribution
>

> What's the "input" for this algorithm?  A vector?   I'm assuming that the output
> is just the vector on the unit sphere.  I'm trying to visualize where this
> "plugs in" to the pixel-evaluation chain of events.

Congratulations, it seems like you've just found out what a BRDF is...
now to my problem of generating random numbers with a distribution that
is reasonably close to a given BRDF (in order to get an efficient
sampling), while keeping track of the probability of the numbers we're
generating (in order to compensate for the virtually inevitable mismatch) ;)