POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Null or empty object / mesh : Re: Null or empty object / mesh Server Time
1 May 2024 13:45:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Null or empty object / mesh
From: Alain
Date: 21 Aug 2016 18:01:35
Message: <57ba24bf@news.povray.org>

>> Thanks, I made it a 0 radius sphere with all suggested attributes
>
> Is there another use for a null than to keep track of a location after
> some transformations and/or linking other objects to that location? And
> isn't that something that can much easier be done in POV-Ray by
> declaring and vtransforming a vector?
>
> I'm just curious why you would need a null/empty object in POV-Ray.

There is realy no need to use a null object, but, for some, it's
intuitively easier that way. Also, some peoples are not aware of, or
comfortable with, vector transformations.

Once that object is #declared, you can get it's location using #declare
Loc_Max = max_extent(Object_Name); and #declare Loc_Min =
min_extent(Object_Name); and averaging the values. With a zero radius
sphere, the two values are the same allowing you to use only one of the
#declare.

Yes, it's beter to use a transformed vector. It use less memory and it's
faster to access.