POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dragon Lady : Re: Dragon Lady Server Time
17 May 2024 17:05:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dragon Lady
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 20 Aug 2016 08:17:07
Message: <57b84a43$1@news.povray.org>
On 7-8-2016 21:00, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> I use three media in one interior.
>
> Changed my code - that seems to work for me now.
>
>> I would post the code but it is messy. I have to overwrite the code
>> Bishop3d exports with the code modified to run direct from Pov.
>
> Seems messy and time consuming.
>
>> Both Bishop3d and Moray export a pov file for each frame and it takes
>> PovRay 16 seconds to save the scene.
>
> "Frame"?  Is that one of the "slices" to make the DF3?
>
>> Creating the tga files to make the
>> df3's would take Bishop3d about an hour and a half to export 100 frames
>> times 3 for each channel.
>
> That seems insane.

[coming back to this earlier discussion]
Using Gilles Tran's application makedf3object.pov this is much faster in
my experience. Fifteen minutes per channel or so...

> There has to be a better way / workflow.
>
> I had an idea last night -
> I did a quick experiment with the Stanford Dragon mesh:
> defined the object
> used #declare Variable = VRand_In_Obj(object {StanfordDragon}, Stream);
> to get the coordinates of 10,000 spheres, and placed them, made a copy of that
> and overlaid it with a "skin", plus rendered a jade textured mesh beside it - in
> 51 seconds.

Yes, that is interesting but quite different from a media.

> I'm thinking that it may be well worth your while to either ditch media and use
> an alternate scheme, or use POV-Ray to scan through a full-color solid object
> and make a point-cloud right in SDL

Media are not /that/ difficult to use. They may be slow in rendering though.

> http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/povexamples/
>
> I think there must be a way to export the full RGB data in a single DF3, and
> then maybe overlay the real mesh with a highly-transparent texture.

You can use just a single df3 with a layer of three different density
maps, each dedicated to one of the RGBs. The DF3 is the "container".

> Can you make the mesh object filled with a media directly?

Yes.

> I don't play with these things very often, so I'm just brainstorming.

That is an excellent exercise ;-)

--
Thomas