POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : :O I broke it. : Re: :O I broke it. Server Time
6 May 2024 02:34:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: :O I broke it.
From: clipka
Date: 14 Aug 2016 15:25:00
Message: <57b0c58c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.08.2016 um 20:56 schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 14/08/2016 à 19:55, clipka a écrit :
>> Simply using a vector with a custom allocator isn't going to nail it,
>> that's for sure.
>
> And before jumping the wagon, did you check the vector is actually the container
that is needed.
> (continuous storage, usually for many direct access to random elements)

The usual criteria for choosing a data structure are moot here: The one
thing that's a complete no-go in this case is dynamic memory allocation
(with the possible exception of pathological scenes).

That categorically rules out virtually every other standard data
structure outright, as they rely even heavier on dynamic memory
allocation than a vector.

> It was "like" a vector in C, because that is the more dynamic continuous data
storage with a single allocation block.

When POV-Ray was still C, I'm pretty sure it was a plain static array.

> Sometime it is good to ask again the basic questions

And sometimes it is necessary to ask entirely different questions.