POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tinkering with textures : Re: Tinkering with textures Server Time
28 Sep 2024 09:04:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tinkering with textures
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 11 Aug 2016 07:23:02
Message: <57ac6016@news.povray.org>

> Hi(gh)!
>
> On 10.08.2016 09:24, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
>> Hm... info:
>> Considering only POV-Ray, I currently have a collection of about 256
>> different authors, each one contributing at least one macro or inc or
>> pov file. The oldest contribution must be somewhen in the late 1990's...
>
> Same with me - at least in the order of magnitude. But unlike you, I've
> not even started to use them... it's difficult to integrate them all in
> the concept of POVghanistan or even POVEarth... believe or not: even
> after 21 years of dabbling with POV-Ray, I'm still only at the beginning
> when it comes to technical skills...

Yours is  a very ambitious project indeed and I admire your dedication.
I think that makes the use of all those different goodies more
difficult. Even so, I have not used 1/10th of what I have in store and I
probably forgot about the use of most of them. Exploring them sometimes
leads to unexpected developments.

>> Uncle Ken did better in his time and also online.
>
> Yes, I in fact think a full-blown POV-Ray images and code database
> should be put into reality!

Yes. As things are standing now, many smart tricks presented here are
again lost over time and sometimes 'rediscovered' years later. The
Object Collection would be a good start but there are problems with the
security there I believe.

>> The problem is losing track of course. I have some index, which is not
>> really up-to-date and would need work, and I am far from complete having
>> only collected what I find personally interesting and potentially useful
>> for a future project.
>
> The web bulges with POV-Ray and general 3D resources, it's enough to
> make your brain hurt... one of the few good things about the Internet!

Good but often confusing. I simply restrict myself to the bare
necessities. I simply have not the (mental) capacity to overview them
all, not even speaking of the available time.

--
Thomas