POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dragon Lady : Re: Dragon Lady Server Time
2 Jun 2024 10:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dragon Lady
From: Stephen
Date: 7 Aug 2016 15:31:16
Message: <57a78c84$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/7/2016 8:12 PM, Alain wrote:

> In method 1 and 2, confidence, variance and ratio are used to control
> how many samples are to be used in the different intervals depending on
> the density and illumination in the various intervals. With method 3,
> using more that a single interval is highly counterproductive.
>
> I've done my tests with intervals and the negative impact they have on
> the performance is astounding.
> I demonstrated that samples 100 is way faster than intervals 10 samples
> 1 for greatly better results.

Thanks Alain, I knew I would get it in the neck for posting that code. :)
Except for the intervals/samples thing. The other things you mention are
Bishop3D defaults and there is not a lot that I can do about what is
exported except go through the code afterwards. But I have a relatively
fast machine, so I don't.
I seem to have a blind spot for samples vs intervals. Thomas, amongst
others, is forever mentioning it.
I use media so seldom that I have to relearn it whenever I want to use
it. :(
So it is not ignorance but stupidity on my part. :(

--

Regards
     Stephen