POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dragon Lady : Re: Dragon Lady Server Time
3 May 2024 04:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dragon Lady
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Aug 2016 03:30:21
Message: <57a6e38d$1@news.povray.org>
On 7-8-2016 0:28, Stephen wrote:
> On 8/6/2016 8:40 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> This looks like a very cool project, and I like the results so far.
>>

> Thanks, that's good to know. The more I work on it. The more I see what
> is wrong with it.

Ha! How true. It's a curse ;-)

>> Perhaps the dragon may look / show up better if the emission tapered
>> off in a
>> gradient as it moved away from the camera.   Think of it as a slightly
>> darker
>> background media for a slightly brighter foreground media.
>>
>> I think you could just define a z-gradient and rotate it based on the
>> camera
>> location relative to the origin. If you need that equation, I can dig
>> it up from
>> one of my scenes.
>>

> I see what you mean. It is a good suggestion. Although I think that is a
> refinement that must come at a later stage.
> Thomas and I have a few integration points to discuss. For instance If
> we are both using media then we have to use a common scale in Pov units.
> And it is often hard to to make one media container inside a larger
> media container not obvious. Then there is the problem that I am using a
> PovRay modeller that only supports 3.6 syntax. Although I can use 3.7
> syntax with a workaround. It will not make reading the SDL easy.
> Thomas and I have both used Moray which uses a different coordinate
> system to PovRay. It used Z axis is up. Whereas, as you know PovRay is Y
> axis is up. We have to see how the scenes fit together first.
> (I am just jotting down a few points that come to mind)

We have indeed some issues to discuss not in the least the media scale
used. Also, we may need indeed to test how the nested containers are
going to show up.

I posted an image of Bellona with the bridge and river in place. No
nested containers there as I restricted the atmosphere to just above the
water surface (the water is a media) and just below the clouds container.

The foreground is where I imagine the Scorpions to be and we need to
consider their scale with regards to the environment.

Much to do but exciting!

This may perhaps help already: the media used for the atmosphere:

//start code
#declare AtmosScale = <10, 10, 10>;
#declare Atmosphere =
union {
   //clouds:
   //clouds media here.

   //atmospheric haze:
   difference {
     sphere {0, 490}
     plane {y, -0.749}
     hollow
     material {
       texture {pigment {color rgbt 1}}
       interior {
         media {
           intervals 1
           samples 50
           scattering {5, rgb <1,1,1>*0.03/AtmosScale
             eccentricity 0.4
           }
           density {
             spherical