POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parametrics and isosurfaces : Re: Parametrics and isosurfaces Server Time
3 May 2024 14:42:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parametrics and isosurfaces
From: clipka
Date: 6 Aug 2016 19:57:24
Message: <57a67964$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.08.2016 um 21:35 schrieb Bald Eagle:

> I'm trying to calculate a rho or an r value that smoothly varies with u.
> As you can see below, I figured that defining a spline based on the polynomial
> evaluations was a logical way to do this, but the parser complained when I tried
> to use RhoSpline(u) in my functions, and still complains when I try to use a
> user-defined function that returns a spline value.
> "expected 'operand', but spline identifier found instead"

There are a few things that you can do in POV-Ray's regular SDL, but
which don't work in functions.

I'm a bit surprised about this myself, but using splines in place of
functions seems to be one of those things.

You'll therefore have to find a different approach to implement your
spherical harmonics -- pre-computing sample points of the polynomials
and approximating the whole thing with splines won't work.