POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A study in Heatsinks : Re: A study in Heatsinks Server Time
2 May 2024 06:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A study in Heatsinks
From: Alain
Date: 2 Aug 2016 11:38:21
Message: <57a0be6d@news.povray.org>

> I managed to squeak in some work on some basic CSG items I'll be using for
> scenes.
>
> Definitely need to work on the metal textures, and it's very obvious that the
> skysphere, lighting, and angle have very significant effects on the rendered
> appearance.
>
> My lighting and textures are still craptastically rudimentary, but like many
> things, it's a WIP...
>
> I've noticed that when I tried to overlay the benchtop with a thin box patterned
> with some granite/agate smudge and the rest of the color_map is rgbt <0, 0, 0,
> 1> or rgbt <1, 1, 1, 1> , I get a pronounced darkening of the underlying
> benchtop.
> {During writing, it occurred to me that it might be a coincident surface
> problem, and I raised the layer 0.001, and it's fine now - just putting this
> here for future reference / solution}
>
> As an aside,
> Searching for povray metal textures I actually found someone else who modeled a
> heatsink:
> https://en.wiki2.org/wiki/File:Heatsink_povray.png
> and was shocked to find that the associated SDL source took 38 min to render on
> my machine.   :O   Must be those area lights...
...or inefficient coding.
It uselessly use a merge of 2 boxes and 38 cylinders, most of witch are
later removed.
That merge is the base shape for a difference where you chop off 20
boxes to carve the channels between the fins.
For each pixels, you need to totally evaluate the 62 components.
Also, the 3 10 by 10 non-adaptive area_light are performance killers.

A better approach would have been to have the base plate, then add the
121 fins elements and add the fixations in an union.

> My whole 9-heatsink scene takes 26 sec.

For the metals:
Set ambiant to zero.
Always use metallic reflection and highlights.
Use uberpov to be able to use blurred reflection.
Have a low diffuse.
Diffuse + reflection must be less than 1.
Brilliance is usually set between 2 and 7.
An interesting environment is important.