POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : NURBS : Re: NURBS Server Time
1 Jun 2024 19:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS
From: clipka
Date: 1 Aug 2016 06:19:53
Message: <579f2249$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.08.2016 um 01:51 schrieb Christian Froeschlin:
> On 24.07.2016 4:13, clipka wrote:
>
>> What's been bothering me about POV-Ray's Bezier patches is that we don't
>> have some kind of bezier mesh to support non-union CSG. Do you think you
>> can throw together a nurbs mesh primitive?
>
> From what I remember of B-splines I think a B-spline patch
> of degree d is essentially the same thing as a mesh of bezier
> patches of degree d (with the smoothest possible transition
> where the bezier control blocks are joined).
>
> So I'm not sure an extra mesh object is needed since you can simply
> increase the number of control points. Or maybe I misunderstood?

You misunderstood indeed. While B-splines and Bezier splines are indeed
equivalent (in the sense that whatever you can model with one you can
also model with the other), this is not true for NURBS (non-uniform
rational B-splines), as they are a more general superset of B-splines.
As such they obviously need more parameters than plain vanilla B-splines
or Bezier splines, and are also more difficult to compute.

It is therefore reasonable to presume that a dedicated Bezier patch mesh
would be more performant than a NURBS patch mesh.