POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Study in sunsets : Re: Study in sunsets Server Time
22 Jun 2024 23:30:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Study in sunsets
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Jul 2016 07:48:53
Message: <579b42a5$1@news.povray.org>
On 29-7-2016 11:09, Stephen wrote:
>> On 28-7-2016 16:08, Stephen wrote:
>

>>> Good.
>>> It made me think of doing an image of the kid as a scorpion.
>>
>> That would be interesting to do. I have pondered the complex chain
>> pattern worn by him but that seems far too complicated to model
>> dynamically in Poser and iirc he wore it under his clothes anyway.
>> Incidentally, I saw on the web somebody who tattooed the pattern on her
>> body (why not indeed?). Still, the kid is also on my (long) wish list.
>>

> Yes, the kid is more your kind of image than mine.
> I am more interested in the Projector and trying to get a person inside
> an illuminated Scorpion. That will probably something that is better in
> the mind than in the flesh.

It is a thought. I need to read the book again to get the mood again; it
has been a while since last time.

> I've found a free scorpion mesh but it is not articulated. I should be
> able to pose it in Blender.

That should be possible indeed.

>> Lets see where that brings us. We always can combine elements into a
>> grand Delany scene. :-)
>>

> Let's do that. I can't promise I'll get an effect that will be acceptable.
> The optical chains remind me of the hippy beads I wore in the early
> seventies. The beads were strung together in a chain with brass wire and
> itched like hell. :)

It must be something like that indeed.

> All you would need is a loop showing at a cuff or a chest. But I am
> getting ahead of myself. :)

Yes. That would be enough and not too difficult. The kid himself should
be rather straightforward as Poser modelling goes.

>>> A couple of years ago I made a start on the dress Lanya wore to the big
>>> party.
>>> [Un-sensuous nudity warning]
>>>

>> Ah yes, I remember that one. I suppose the dress needed a couple more
>> subdivisions to move correctly ;-)
>>

> It was only a proof of concept. It would need a bit more work it it were
> to be useful.
> It was the first time I had used Poser's Walk Designer as well. And it
> shows.
>
> I must say that book made an impression on me. I read it in the late
> 70's and I remember a lot.

Oh yes indeed; disturbing and fascinating at the same time. It has not
lost its attraction either. It was a new way of writing SF at the time
although I don't think it was really part of the 'New Wave' as promoted
by Harlan Ellison at the time, although certainly close in concept.

--
Thomas