POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shadow on Earth? : Re: Shadow on Earth? Server Time
6 May 2024 13:48:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow on Earth?
From: clipka
Date: 20 Jul 2016 13:18:54
Message: <578fb27e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.07.2016 um 19:06 schrieb Stephen:
> On 7/20/2016 5:27 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 20.07.2016 um 18:02 schrieb Stephen:
>>
>>> Besides using an image map. You can add a normal map to give some depth
>>> and a spectacular map for the seas. You can find some here
>>> http://planetpixelemporium.com/earth.html
>>
>> You mean specular, right? ;)
>>

> Who rattled your cage? :P

OOoooh -- careful! This Code Monkey could accidently type a few lines of
code that make POV-Ray crash specifically on /your/ computer. So stop
talking, human, and hand over the bananas! ;)

>>> The atmosphere is always tricky to do and I generally cheat and use a
>>> cone behind the planet in line with the camera.
>>
>> I find atmosphere comparatively easy --
>
> Yes you do, don't you. :(
>
>> as long as I don't try to add
>> clouds.
>>

> Clouds are problematic especially in an animation. The simplest way
> would be to use an image map.

Tried that, and found it looking unconvincing. The best thing I've
managed to come up with so far was a combination of an image map and a
spherical function to create media with a cloud-ish density distribution.

It would be cool if we had a set of cloud image maps epresenting cloud
densities at different altitudes, but I guess such a thing doesn't exist
(yet).