POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shadow on Earth? : Re: Shadow on Earth? Server Time
6 May 2024 11:11:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow on Earth?
From: Stephen
Date: 20 Jul 2016 12:02:08
Message: <578fa080$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/20/2016 3:50 PM, Kuangy wrote:
> I'm now working hard on my assignment for my CG class at college, in which I'm
> trying to make a realistic earth animation.
> I used "difference" to create something like atmosphere right outside earth, and
> in which I also used emission for making the atmosphere glow. And this is where
> I'm facing a problem.

[Snip]

> }
>
> And below I attach the rendered result for now.
>
> How can I solve this problem? I'd appreciate it if someone could help.
> I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm very sorry for my poor English... I
> really wish I didn't use impolite expressions!

Welcome and your English is fine.

You want to use scattering for your atmosphere.

Besides using an image map. You can add a normal map to give some depth
and a spectacular map for the seas. You can find some here
http://planetpixelemporium.com/earth.html

The atmosphere is always tricky to do and I generally cheat and use a
cone behind the planet in line with the camera.

Regards
     Stephen