POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Cached Macros! : Re: Cached Macros! Server Time
28 Apr 2024 10:07:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cached Macros!
From: clipka
Date: 20 Jul 2016 07:43:59
Message: <578f63ff$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.07.2016 um 12:40 schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:
> El 20/07/16 a las 01:16, clipka escribió:
>> Ok, folks -- I've just submitted an update to the macro caching
>> mechanism. The 64k (Windows) / 0.5k (Linux) buffer is now bypassed,
>> further increasing the parsing speed of Thomas' demo scene on my
>> machine from 60 to 50 seconds.
>>
>> Please test intensively.
>>

>   Hmmm... here the new version is a bit slower parsing: from 1m20s to
> 1m23s, either with macros defined inside or outside, and even with
> in-between comments no matter the size (I tried several MB of comments
> and it still parsed in 1m23s).

Hmm... maybe that's due to the top layer in the file access
(ITextStream, the one where the buffer used to reside in) now using
polymorphism. Still, it puzzles me a bit why the copying-around of the
macro content does so little to counteract that penalty. Might even have
to do with CPU properties.

Since this 3.6% performance loss on your machine buys a 12% performance
bonus on Thomas' machine, I guess I'm willing to pay that price.