POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface doodle : Re: Isosurface doodle Server Time
3 May 2024 16:28:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface doodle
From: Tor Olav
Date: 18 Jul 2016 12:23:19
Message: <578d0277$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/18/2016 04:20 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> I'm just thinking from the perspective of ready-made subdivisions of 3D space,
> especially in the context of individual points.

Have you looked at the source code for these images ?
(It's on my webpage.)

http://hof.povray.org/Isosurface-Cubic_Space_Division.html
http://hof.povray.org/Isosurface-Sombrero.html

There are more images made with similar techniques in this folder:

http://subcube.com/POV-Ray_Images/

E.g.:
Isosurface_Sphere_Inversion.jpg
Isosurface_Torus_Grid.jpg
Isosurface_Circle_Inversion.jpg
Isosurfaces_Escher_Grid.jpg
Isosurface_Construction.jpg
Isosurfaces_Blobbing.jpg
Isosurface_Crackle_Pattern.jpg

I'm sure that it can be be done with non rectangular/cubic space
divisions as well.

R Suzuki once made some interesting (but quite complex) isosurface
macros that might be relevant:

From: R Suzuki
Subject: Example of Rope Macro
Date: 22 Jan 2002 09:52:27
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C3c4d365b%40news.povray.org%3E/

From: R Suzuki
Subject: Rope Macro
Date: 22 Jan 2002 09:49:44
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C3c4d35b8%40news.povray.org%3E/

See his attached rope.inc file for the macros.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com