POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A new strategy for POVghanistan... : Re: A new strategy for POVghanistan... Server Time
4 May 2024 00:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new strategy for POVghanistan...
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 12 Jul 2016 09:26:44
Message: <5784f014$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 07.03.2016 08:53, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 7-3-2016 2:25, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann wrote:
>> Hi(gh)!
>>
>> After having really messed up my code I realized that it was quite
>> unreasonable to start with building the Kabul airport tower from a photo
>> of its uppermost storey. Instead, I first would assemble a
>> high-resolution aerial mosaic of the Kabul area (Google Maps tiles at
>> about 0.25 metres/pixel), to gauge the the outline dimensions of
>> buildings, streets etc.
>>

> That's not an unreasonable way of going forward.

Update: as Google Map's Terms of Use do not allow "mass downloading"
(however this is defined) of image tiles, to avoid lawsuits when finally
putting POVghanistan on the Internet, I now tend to use bing.com's API
for Open Street Map to work out buildings' and vegetation elements'
positions!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar