POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Metal Monster entry : Re: Metal Monster entry Server Time
19 May 2024 08:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metal Monster entry
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Jun 2016 07:32:40
Message: <576925d8@news.povray.org>
On 21-6-2016 9:44, Stephen wrote:
> On 6/20/2016 12:35 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 20-6-2016 10:34, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> I have been reading a lot of stories from the pulp era, recently. And if
>>> you did not plagiarise the idea ;) it would have fitted in perfectly.
>>> Except for the quality. :)
>>
>> It has been a while since I read any of those, and essentially Doc Smith
>> at that, so the initial idea was entirely 'graphic' and the final one
>> just happened in my head as a more 'interesting' and darker substitute.
>>

> It goes against all the laws. So you had better have a good explanation.
> :-)

Laws are to be going against for an old anarchist like me. :-)

>>> Simak's "A Heritage of Stars" would have been a good one except your
>>> combination of head and holder is the only one that would not work. ;-)
>>
>> That is right. Now that you mention it: "City" by same, only no
>> appropriate metal monster there. Jenkins would hardly fit the bill and
>> the dogs are lovable (not so the ants).
>>

> Yes all Simak's robots were benevolent.
> And well, you've got to give the ants their day in the sun. :)
> You also have to respect a race, whose god is. "...a human boot kicking
> over an anthill."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_%28novel%29#The_Coda

Yes, that is a marvellous ending of the cycle indeed.

Talking of ants, I am in the middle of a grim human-against-ants
campaign. Not sure who is going to win at this stage. My forces have had
to retreat a couple of yards for lack of ammunition, and major
regrouping - on both sides - is under way.

>>> The Sorrows of Young Werther?  :-)
>>>
>>> I must dig out a copy of Winterreise. In case I need cheering up. :-)
>>
>> With the music please! Dieter Fischer-Diskau!
>>

> I'll cover your "Dieter Fischer-Diskau" and raise you the Dutch musician
> "Pierre Kartner". :-P

Oooh! Gi'me a break! Don't you have anything (ANYTHING!) better than
THAT?!? %->

--
Thomas