POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Challenge : Re: A Challenge Server Time
16 May 2024 11:58:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Challenge
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jun 2016 08:56:24
Message: <575815f8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.06.2016 um 14:33 schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 08/06/2016 à 14:18, clipka a écrit :

>>> Reminds me of the portal animation Rune posted a while ago.
>>>
>>> http://runevision.com/3d/anims/wormhole_portal.mpg
>>
>> BTW, bad news from scientists for fans of wormholes: According to modern
>> theories, wormholes are conceivable, but it seems their passageway would
>> continually extend in length, and happen to do so at -- well, guess what
>> -- the speed of light.
>>
>> So no wormhole-based FTL travel -- sorry folks.
>>

> But, what if, we create a sequence of wormhole, in the vicinity of a
> wormhole-platform.
> On May 2017, creation of first wormhole, aimed to alpha centaury
> (distance : 4 light-years)
> On July 2017, creation of another, same target
> and so on, every two months.
>
> In May 2021, travelers to alpha centaury took the first wormhole. Given
> that the sun-earth distance is about 8 minutes, they probably have about
> fifteen minutes to jump in and out. (or rather: twice 4 minutes, with a
> banned intermediate period of 12 minutes: too near the star)

I guess we have a misunderstanding here:

It is not the distance between the endpoints _in regular space_ that
increases at light speed (though I presume they can't move away fromm
each other faster than that).

It is the distance between the endpoints _along the wormhole passage_
that increases at light speed.

So if you create a wormhole in 2017 and send a ship through in 2021, the
_passage through the wormhole_ would take 4 years -- and then some,
thanks to its length increasing even more while you travel though it.