POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A Challenge : Re: A Challenge Server Time
16 May 2024 05:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Challenge
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 8 Jun 2016 08:33:29
Message: <57581099$1@news.povray.org>
Le 08/06/2016 à 14:18, clipka a écrit :
> Am 07.06.2016 um 18:02 schrieb Stephen:
>> On 6/7/2016 4:18 PM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
>>> I had an idea for a precursor portal system composed of crystalline
>>> Doorways.
>>> The Doorways are not gates, in themselves, but anchor-points.  The
>>> idea was that
>>> there is really only one "Gate" device, which is so advanced that it
>>> is not only
>>> sentient, but also possesses Intellectus w/regards to all the anchor
>>> points in
>>> the network.
>>>
>>> The Doorways themselves aren't built so much as grown.
>>

>> Reminds me of the portal animation Rune posted a while ago.
>>
>> http://runevision.com/3d/anims/wormhole_portal.mpg
>
> BTW, bad news from scientists for fans of wormholes: According to modern
> theories, wormholes are conceivable, but it seems their passageway would
> continually extend in length, and happen to do so at -- well, guess what
> -- the speed of light.
>
> So no wormhole-based FTL travel -- sorry folks.

But, what if, we create a sequence of wormhole, in the vicinity of a
wormhole-platform.
On May 2017, creation of first wormhole, aimed to alpha centaury
(distance : 4 light-years)
On July 2017, creation of another, same target
and so on, every two months.

In May 2021, travelers to alpha centaury took the first wormhole. Given
that the sun-earth distance is about 8 minutes, they probably have about
fifteen minutes to jump in and out. (or rather: twice 4 minutes, with a
banned intermediate period of 12 minutes: too near the star)

The rescue team can use the same windows on the second wormhole in July
2017.