POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Left vs Right camera views of lathe and prism points for p.d.inbuilt discussion. : Re: Left vs Right camera views of lathe and prism points forp.d.inbuiltdiscussion. Server Time
28 Apr 2024 12:30:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Left vs Right camera views of lathe and prism points forp.d.inbuiltdiscussion.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 4 Jun 2016 19:03:14
Message: <57535e32$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/04/2016 04:39 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 04/06/2016 15:48, William F Pokorny a écrit :
>> Left vs Right camera views of lathe and prism points image for
povray.documentation.inbuilt discussion.

>> Bill P.
>
> There is a problem with the prism texture : the lower face is of interior_texture
for the counterclockwise prism

> In attached pictures: prism was not clipped, lathe was clipped.
>
> And the notion of clockwise is a 3D thing which might still be reworded, something
along: globally, for successive points, compared to the center of all points, when
positive y values decreases, the positive x values increases (?)

> right handed system is not only swapping the Z direction, but more often based on Z
being the elevation.

Why are you showing the axis rotations for both xy and xz for the
prisms? The prism object splines are defined in the xz plane(1) :

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Prism

"...This is followed by the specified number of 2-D vectors which define
the shape in the x-z plane."

The prism sweep is in y.

I understand in the right handed system Z is usually treated as up.

Bill P.

(1) - The underlying spline mechanism is perhaps still evaluated inside
the code as x,y - not sure.