POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The lemon is ready : Re: The lemon is ready Server Time
17 May 2024 06:54:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The lemon is ready
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 29 May 2016 13:33:01
Message: <574b27cd$1@news.povray.org>
Le 26/05/2016 18:12, William F Pokorny a écrit :
> On 05/26/2016 10:15 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> Le 26/05/2016 à 15:24, William F Pokorny a écrit :
>>
>> On LemonLeft, parsing occurs up to the inner radius, then the message is
>> written and the object so far get replaced with a sphere.
>> Then parsing continue and find sturm, which is not supported by a sphere.
>>
>> Notice that the same issue would occurs with current ovus (when the top
>> radius is more than twice the bottom radius).
>>
>> For lemon, I could replace with another object which would support
>> sturm, but is it really needed ? or even wanted ?
>>
>> (My first approach was to stop with an error instead of a warning, was
>> it better ?)
>>

> Suppose if someone is doing an animation or sequence of images, it might be
convenient to transition into a sphere then continue to shrink that sphere.

> If so, we are not really doing that today as we seem to be at a 0.5 radius and then
jump to a radius of 0.499999/2 where we'd need to not have a discontinuity in result
for inner radius moving from 0.5 to 0.499999.

Thanks you for your input, on that point as well as the noisy surface when radius is
exactly the minimal one.
It should be corrected with the new (and hopefully last) change on the lemon.

> If we are going to jump to the 0.499999/2 radius on substitution as we do today, I
vote we go back to an error message.

If the vertices are identical, an error message is issued (same as for cylinder/cone)
If the third radius is too small, it is adjusted to the smallest value and a warning
is written, thus allowing sturm and open without problem. So, no more discontinuity,
but no shrinking either.

and for extra benefit, when the third radius is the minimal one, a sphere is used
instead of the torus part, removing the problem of noise on the surface due to
coincident surface.