POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ovus : Re: Ovus Server Time
14 May 2024 03:05:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ovus
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 25 May 2016 08:06:39
Message: <5745954f$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/05/2016 à 17:42, clipka a écrit :
>> > About being doable, yes, I can (but there will be additional constraints
>> > on the values, such a minimal minor radius function of the three other
>> > distances under which you would get an error)
> Of course such constraint checks would be part of the deal.
>
>> > And do you expect default values for some parameters too ? (yet more
>> > syntax sugar... )
> Since I'd advocate to put it into the ovus primitive, of course the
> default values would be Bottom_radius for the Y coordinate of the top
> sphere, and 2*max(Bottom_radius,Top_radius).

back to that subject... finding a suitable syntax, backward compatible
with existing syntax.

So far :

   ovus { Bottom_radius, Top_radius }

0 <= Bottom_radius
0 <= Top_radius <= 2*Bottom_radius

(when TopRadius > 2*BottomRadius, object is replaced by a sphere)

Additional parameters:

   InnerRadius (default to 2 * max( Bottom_radius, Top_radius )

   Distance_between_spheres (default to Bottom_radius )

0 <= Bottom_radius
0 <= Top_radius
0 <= Distance_between_spheres (Bottom is at <0,0,0>,
   but Top is at <0, Distance_between_spheres, 0> instead
   of <0, Bottom_radius, 0>

complex relation for InnerRadius vs its minimal value.

If it was only for one additional parameter the obvious syntax would
have been:

   ovus { Bottom_radius, Top_radius [, extra_value ] }

Please provide some suggestions about an acceptable syntax.