POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just dawdling : Re: Just dawdling (from the stake) Server Time
17 May 2024 09:29:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just dawdling (from the stake)
From: Stephen
Date: 24 May 2016 04:41:48
Message: <574413cc$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/24/2016 8:49 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Before I am condemned to the stake, here are my latest results, using an
> exr depth_map (attached).
>
> Two attached result images: SB_rockhead1a with, in the corresponding
> section:
> exr "Mapping_test.exr" gamma 1.0 interpolate 2
>
> and SB_rockhead1b with, in the corresponding section:
> exr "Mapping_test.exr" gamma 3.0 interpolate 2
>
> The latest of course is what I want. I plead innocent M'Lord.

Change your plea to not guilty you are innocent. :-P

I prefer the gamma 3.0 image.

I did some experimenting with images and gamma using PaintShop Pro (does
not auto gamma correct) and height fields.

Changing the gamma in the image changes the position of where the detail
is brought out. Or so it seems to me.
If that is the aim then it is a bonus that it can be done inside
Pov-Ray. Rather than using an external process that will slowdown the
workflow.

--

I will not let ignorance stand in the way of opening my gob.

Regards
     Stephen