POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just dawdling : Re: Just dawdling Server Time
1 Jun 2024 04:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just dawdling
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 May 2016 07:37:27
Message: <5742eb77$1@news.povray.org>
On 23-5-2016 13:09, Ive wrote:

>> I agree with Kenneth: while the rules are there to be followed
>> strictly... they need also to be broken when artistic needs call for it
>> and yield interesting results.
>>
> Let me get this straight: you are trying to use a depth map but do not
> get the result you desire, so you ask for help. I give you an
> explanation why it is not working es you expect and also a hint what you
> should do.
> But - you cannot agree with that because you would feel limited in your
> artistic freedom.
> Hmm, that's like Vermeer would have said: mixing black and white gives
> me a shade of gray and not gold. So now I cannot express myself anymore
> and the pearl earrings will remain unfinished.

No, no! That is not what I said! As I understand the whole thing here,
the straightforward/correct way to do things does not get me the results
I want (and I do not see how I can obtain that otherwise) so I turn to
unconventional ways to reach my goal. Personally, I think that is an
acceptable artistic way to do things.

I, modern Vermeer, do not paint the earring but glue the photograph of
one in its place (collage) :-)

--
Thomas