POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The lemon is ready : Re: The lemon is ready Server Time
20 May 2024 17:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The lemon is ready
From: clipka
Date: 19 May 2016 11:04:06
Message: <573dd5e6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.05.2016 um 16:10 schrieb LanuHum:

>> I doubt the designers of car bodies use Bezier splines -- their weapon
>> of choice are NURBS (non-uniform rational B-splines); AFAIK those do
>> have the capacity to precisely represent circular arcs.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9zier_curve

[quote from Wikipedia, not clipka]

>> known since 1912, but its applicability to graphics was not realized for

>> Renault. The study of these curves was however first developed in 1959 by
>> mathematician Paul de Casteljau using de Casteljau's algorithm, a numerically

Yes, the /invention/ of Bezier curves was driven by the French
automotive industry.

But as the article also notes, that was around _1960_.

Car body quality requirements have increased quite a lot since then.

Note how the "Applications" section in that article lists computer
graphics, animation and fonts, but /not/ [contemporary] automotive design.